St Marys House Block Cabernet 2010
$2999each
$359DOZEN
WinerySt Marys
Fruit Cabernet Sauvignon
Regions Coonawarra
  South Australia
Each $29.99
$359.00
Available by the dozen
St Mary's Winery is situated on a strip of Terra rossa soil, some fifteen kilometres west of the township of Penola. Originally a grazing property, the poor topsoils working in combination with rich Terra rossa underneath, yield scant quantities of the most powerfully flavoured wine grapes. Exclusively estate grown Cabernet is harvested for the creation of St Mary's House Block, a wine of overall richness and fine palate structure, dense with varietal fruit character and Coonawarra charm, harmoniously integrated after extended ageing.
The exclusive little vineyard is sited on part of a grazing propertry that has been owned and operated by the Mulligan family since 1937. The vines are planted on an elevated area of Terra Rossa soil over limestone. The soils are generally very stony. Some of the more austere parts of the vineyard are virtually pure rock. The vines that have survived on these stony areas produce relatively small tonnages compared to local averages. Small batches of hand picked grapes are fermented in open vats, basket pressed and barrel matured in climate controlled storage before being bottled on premises. Treated to an extended maturation in a selection of American and French oak hogsheads.
TASTING NOTES
Black cherry colour with deep ruby hues. The bouquet is an enticing mixture of ripe, blackcurrant fruit characters complemented by gentle integrated French oak. House Block Cabernet demonstrates exquisite balance, fine Coonawarra richness persists, sultry aromatics expressing regional mint along with pepper and new leather over olives and graceful vanillan oak culminate on lingering and supportive tannins.
Wines by St Marys
About St Marys Winery
St Marys is a boutique, family owned, premium red wine producer, sited on some of the Coonawarra's most unique mix of soils.
St Mary's winery is situated on a strip of "terra rossa" soil 15 kilometres west of the township of Penola in the southeast end of South Australia. In 1909 the first members of the Mulligan family arrived in the Penola district. The property that St Marys Wines now stands upon was purchased in 1937. This property is 15km west of the town of Penola. Its primary use was for sheep and cattle grazing. St Marys»